Gina Bachauer International Junior Piano Competition
June 13-18, 2016
Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center
Salt Lake City, Utah
Issued by the Competition Executive Committee by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation, these rules and procedures are established to regulate all matters pertaining to applications auditions, repertory requirements, calendar, scheduling, and operation of the competition. Judging and voting procedures are the subject of a separate set of rules published in the official program book of the competition, and issued to members of the International Jury.
The 2016 Gina Bachauer International Junior Competition is open to pianists of any nationality, ages 11-14 (born after June 28, 2001 and before June 21, 2005).
However, pianists who within the last five years have studied on a regular basis with any member of the 2016 International Jury, or with the Artistic Director of the competition, or with any other person currently employed by the Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation are ineligible to participate. Similarly, pianists who are close relatives to those mentioned above are ineligible.
It is understood that it is likely that members of the International Jury may be acquainted with some participants in the competition because of past associations (for example, previous competitions, music festivals, master classes, or enrollment at academic institutions).
The official application is available online. The following items must be submitted electronically and received by October 1, 2015 (incomplete applications will not be accepted).
- Completed Online Application Form
- One color photograph in JPEG format (resolution of at least 300 dpi) suitable for publicity
- Certified copy of legal documents verifying date and place of birth
- Non-refundable application fee of $150 (U.S.)
Upon acceptance of their application, candidates will be invited to perform a live audition at their requested audition site. The initial list of audition cities and dates is subject to change, based on regional application numbers.
- International Audition Sites and Dates
|Barletta, Italy||November 7-8, 2015|
|Yerevan, Armenia||November 10-11, 2015|
|Hamburg, Germany||November 13-14, 2015|
|Moscow, Russia||November 16-17, 2015|
|New York City, USA||December 14-16, 2015|
|Beijing, China||January 5-6, 2016|
|Shanghai, China||January 10, 2016|
|Seoul, Korea||January 12, 2016|
|Hong Kong||January 17, 2016|
|Tokyo, Japan||January 19, 2016|
|Salt Lake City, USA||February 6-8, 2016|
- All candidates invited to audition will furnish their own transportation and accommodations for the screening stage of the competition.
- Audition Repertory
- Candidates will prepare a solo recital program, a minimum of 40 minutes, including works by two or more composers, representing at least two contrasting styles. There are no specific repertory requirements.
- During the 15-minute audition, candidates will be begin with a selection of their own choice, followed by one or more requests from the jury (as time allows).
- The live screening auditions will be open to the public, and will be video recorded. The screening recordings will not be available for dissemination to individual applicants, and will be used only for determining admission to the competition.
- After the conclusion of all live screening auditions, the recordings of an indeterminate number of passing auditions will be viewed by a final screening jury to select the 24 candidates that will be invited to Salt Lake City as Official Competitors.
- The applicants who are invited to become Official Competitors will be notified no later than March 1, 2016, and shall accept the invitation by submitting the following items, to be received at the offices of the Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation by March 15, 2016.
- Signed and dated letter of acceptance.
- The specific repertoire to be performed on each program, in every round of the competition, including two preliminary, and final rounds (see below).
- Competitors must arrive in Salt Lake City no later than June 12, 2016. The Gina Bachauer Piano Foundation does not provide travel to or from Salt Lake City. Upon arrival, competitors will be provided transportation, meals, practice facilities, and housing in private host homes.
- The 2016 Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition consists of two solo rounds and one concerto round as follows:
- Preliminary Round I (Solo Recital of 25-30 minutes)
- Preliminary Round II (Solo Recital of 25-30 minutes)
- Final Round (The first or final movement of a concerto of competitor’s choice).
- All competitors will perform in both Preliminary Rounds of the competition. At the conclusion of Preliminary Round II, the International Jury will vote for 5 pianists to advance to the Final Round. All five finalists will receive prizes.
- The solo repertory for the Preliminary Rounds is free choice on the part of the applicant. There is no specifically required repertory for any of the solo rounds, but a balanced program is encouraged, and there must be at least two contrasting styles through the totality of both rounds. The repertory from the 40-minute Screening Audition may be used in any of the two solo rounds of the Junior Competition.
- The Final Concerto Round will be performed at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center with second-piano accompaniment.
1st Prize – Gold Medal
$10,000 Cash Award
2nd Prize – Silver Medal
$5,000 Cash Award
3rd Prize – Bronze Medal
$3,000 Cash Award
$2,000 Cash Award (to each of the remaining two finalists)
June 12: Arrival of Competitors (airport pickup by host families)
June 13: Piano Selection (Each competitor will be scheduled for a brief appointment at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center to tryout and select a piano for their performances. All pianos are provided by Steinway & Sons.
Opening Ceremony (Competitors will draw numbers to determine the order of performance throughout the competition).
June 14-15: Preliminary Round I (Solo Recital of 25-30 minutes)
June 16-17: Preliminary Round II (Solo Recital of 25-30 minutes)
June 18: Final Round (Concerto movement)
|Eteri Andjaparidze||Republic of Georgia/USA|
|Glacy Antunes de Oliveira||Brazil|
|Dai Uk Lee||Korea|
|October 1, 2015||Application Deadline|
|October 10, 2015||Notification of Live Audition|
|November 8-16, 2015||Live Auditions in Europe|
|December 14-16, 2015||Live Auditions in New York City|
|January 5-19, 2016||Live Auditions in Asia|
|February 6-8, 2016||Live Auditions in Salt Lake City|
|February, 2016||Final Screening Auditions|
|March 1, 2016||Notification of Accepted Participants|
|March 15, 2016||Competitor Acceptance and Competition Repertory|
|June 13-18, 2016||Competition Events|
138 West Broadway, Suite 220
Salt Lake City, UT 84101 USA
tel: +1 (801) 297-4250